This is a work in progress Maschinen Krieger Gucker model I have cobbled together from various parts I’ve had “in progress” since 2001. You see, ten years ago, I was in the worst place in my life as my previous marriage was falling apart, and I turned to the model bench whenever I could, because it was a “safe place”. This was good for the soul and bad for the models, heh. I had started a Gucker, a Raptor, and a Fireball SG – all original issue resin/styrene Model Kasten models, but none were finished. I didn’t have the skill set I do now, nor was I ever able to complete anything because my life was becoming ever increasingly fractured and eventually I found myself displaced from my home entirely – an impossible environment to be productive in. Well, thankfully time heals all wounds, but it sure doesn’t make a bad model good!
So I boxed all of my works in progress, and picked myself back up. New models were made as my skill set grew, and the modest box of “in progress” things moved with me from place to place over the next couple of years. I then met Lisa and my life changed to perfect, and when we eventually bought a house, the box of bits hibernated in the basement until this past month. Since I like to work on about 100 things at a time (only a slight exaggeration), I decided I could resurrect these poor poor fellas and get them up to snuff in between the big projects for clients. It’s how I build most of “my” models these days.
So first up is the Gucker. First off I noticed how poorly I had sculpted the joint covers, using that crumbly Milliput stuff. Once Aves Apoxie Sculpt was invented, I never looked back. So hacked all that stuff away, and resculpted the joints. Next up, scratch building the parts I somehow lost along the way, which mainly consisted of the back engine cover and front side sensor. I luckily had a back engine cover from a WF kit, so I pilfered that piece, and the sensor was scratch built. I then cleaned up the seam lines and contours that were crude, especially around the side bump outs that covered the windows. More will be posted as I get the time!